National Vision Board Day | JOY for Today
Having a vision means having a purpose. It gives you something to work toward and helps direct your goalsetting. Knowing your purpose, your vision, and where to focus your goals brings JOY.
|January 14, 2023|
JOY for Today Offerings:
- Did You Know... Three we didn't.
- Wolfe Stew Connects To choosing a focus.
- Bible Verses and Quotes For having a vision.
- Activity Suggestions Individual and collaborative vision boards; Would You Rather questions
- Last Year's Post: Make Your Dream Come True Day (January 13th Annually)
- Vision boards are image centered? While your vision board can include words, generally pictures dominate to remind you of your vision at a glance (Psychology Today)
- The more you see something, the more you like it? Psychologists refer to this phenomenon as the mere exposure effect. Studies support the observance of this effect in people, words, and music. (Simply Psychology)
- You likely have a version of a vision board already? A picture of your family in your workspace, your motivational Pinterest board, and the picture of your dream home taped on your fridge are all forms of vision boards. A vision board in simplest terms is a visual that keeps us focused on what matters most to us. (Got Questions)
- Oprah and Steve Harvey advocate the use of vision boards? While they offer differing reasons for the effectiveness of vision boards - Oprah's being manifestation (the process of turning your dreams into reality) and Steve's being his faith in God and guidance from scripture - both agree hard work is essential to reaching your dreams. (Oprah Daily and Steve Harvey)
- Action boards are alternatives to vision boards? Nell Farber questions the effectiveness of vision boards and visualizing the end goal and alternatively suggests the use of action boards and visualizing the performance of steps required to reach the end goal. (Psychology Today)
We'd Love to Know:
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
- "The only title I'll ever need or want: I am a daughter of God," which fulfills my quest for importance. I don't need accolades or approval from this world; I am His daughter. The knowledge and acceptance of this fact fulfills me.
- A rose trampled on the ground reminds me to forgive even when it hurts. A message delivered at our church offered this metaphor. When a rose is trampled, it releases a sweet perfume which is like forgiveness. Forgiving often feels like we are being trampled, like we allow others to "get away" with the hurt they have caused us, but in doing so we release a sweet perfume in the scent of love. After thinking of this, I hear Michael W. Smith crooning "Like a rose / trampled on the ground / You took the fall and thought of me / above all," and I know forgiveness is always the answer.
- "It's not about what; it's about who and that who is YOU," which reminds me that there is nothing I can do to earn His love or favor - I already have it. Instead, my purpose is to know Him more and point others to Him.
- Start collecting reminders of truths you need to hear. Think of a way to display them so that you can quickly start battling the lies when they resurface.
- GROW with us in our journey toward identifying ourselves and others as VALUABLE (a truth we all need to hear). Or engage in last year's GROWTH opportunity and learn to CHOOSE decisions that reflect your values.
- "I know the plans that I have for you, declares Yahweh. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NOG
- "Then the Lord told me: 'I will give you my message in the form of a vision. Write it clearly enough to be read again at a glance. At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep on waiting - it will happen!'" Habakkuk 2:2-3 CEV
- "When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful." Proverbs 29:18 NLT
- "This is what the LORD of Armies says. Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you. They are giving you false hope. They proclaim visions that come from their own hearts and not from the mouth of the Lord." Jeremiah 23:16 EHV
- "Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his face continually." I Chronicles 16:11 KJV
- "When there is no vision, there is no hope." - George Washington
- "Vision is a destination - a fixed point to which we focus all effort. Strategy is a route - an adaptable path to get us where we want to go." - Simon Sinek
- "You've got to think about big things while you're doing small things so that all the small things go in the right direction." Alvin Toffler
- "Be brave enough to live the life of your dreams according to your vision and purpose instead of the expectations and opinions of others." - Roy T. Bennett
- "A vision is not just a picture of what could be; it is an appeal to our better selves, a call to become something more." - Rosabeth Moss Kanter
We'd Love to Know:
Which verse or quote helps shape your vision board?
The Mr.'s Suggestion:
Make a meme!Pair a picture or video and caption it with text that fits your vision board's theme. Then, add it to your vision board. Sharing it with others is completely optional.
The Mrs.' Suggestions:
Make Personal Vision Boards
- Choose a topic (job/school, personal/spiritual growth, fitness, finance, hobbies, travel etc.)
- Gather inspiring images or phrases that relate to your topic. (Search magazines, the internet, created memes, and favorite books for quotes.)
- Arrange the objects and set them in place when content. (Corkboard with pushpins, posterboard and making tape, or whiteboard with magnets)
- Adjust at regular intervals. (Add and subtract as often as needed but completely rethink it at least once a year.)
Discuss "Would You Rather..." Questions
- Have a vision board or a goal journal?
- Display your vision board in your room or at school?
- Create an organized or freeform vision board?
Construct a Family Vision Board
We'd Love to Know:
Find even more JOY for Today in our monthly calendars, holiday, and seasonal posts.