Father's Day | JOY for Today
Fathers, on this day we honor you. We honor the commitment you made and upheld to guide, protect, and love your family. We are better because of you and with JOY we welcome your enduring presence.
Father's Day Offerings:
- Did You Know... Five we didn't.
- Wolfe Stew Connects Musings by the Mrs.
- Bible Verses and Quotes Inspired by Father's Day.
- Activity Suggestions Card-making.
- Father's Day was inspired by a Mother's Day sermon? Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, heard a sermon on Mother's Day that started her on the path toward getting a Father's Day on the calendar too. She felt her father - William Smart - who raised six kids by himself after his wife died during childbirth, deserved a day that honored him and other great fathers. (Spokane City)
- It took 62 years for Father's Day to be federally recognized? The first celebration of Father's Day took place in Spokane in 1910 and in 1972 Richard Nixon officially proclaimed Father's Day a federal holiday. Father's Day was initially met with resistance because it feminized manliness and provided yet another commercialized holiday. But, during WWII, the idea of celebrating Fathers won popularity as the country realized this was yet another way that we could honor our troops. And this national tradition of honoring fathers finally became official amidst Nixon's hard-fought re-election campaign. (History.com)
- March 19th is Father's Day in many other countries? Father's Day and St. Joseph's Day (honors Jesus' earthly father) are combined in these mostly European and Latin American countries. (History.com)
- The number of dads who stay-at-home has nearly doubled since 1989? While stay-at-home moms still outnumber stay-at-home dads, dads make up 17% of all stay-at-home parents compared to 10% in 1989. Twenty-four percent of stay-at-home dads cite caring for family as the main reason for this choice, compared to 4% citing the same reason in 1989. (Pew Research)
- In the United States, 1 in 4 households have no father? A father's absence leads to poverty, behavioral problems, and a higher likelihood for crime and drug use as an adult, while a father's presence leads to financial security, emotional stability, and lower risk for criminal behavior and drug use. (Fatherhood.org)
We'd Love to Know:What quality do you most admire in a good father you know?
- "You saw what happened in the desert. You saw how the Lord your God carried you like a man carries his child. He brought you safely all the way to this place." Deuteronomy 1:31 ERV
- "He is like a father to us, tender and sympathetic to those who reverence him." Psalm 103:13 TLB
- "Young man, do not resent it when God chastens and corrects you, for his punishment is proof of his love. Just as a father punishes a son he delights in to make him better, so the Lord corrects you." Proverbs 3:11-12 TLB
- "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4 EHV
- "Children are a gift from the Lord, a reward from a mother's womb. A young man's sons are like the arrows in a soldier's hand. The man who fills his quiver with sons will be very blessed. He will never be defeated when he opposes his enemy at the city gates." Psalm 127:3-5 ERV
- "No man stands taller than when he stoops to help a child." - Abraham Lincoln
- "There is a mirror that is held up to me now. You have someone watching you. You have to lead by example." - John Krazinski
- "I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." - Sigmund Freud
- "A strong father means a strong family." - Melvina Young
- "Father's Day is for every guy who holds nothing back ... who gives his heart, soul, and energy to those he cares about and still finds a way to love them more every single day." - Andrew Blackburn
We'd Love to Know:
Which verse or quote would you write in a Father's Day card?
Our Nephew's Suggestion:
"Do the same as Mother's Day, but with your dad."
We'd Love to Know:
We’re excited to share one more day with you and wish you JOY for Today and HOPE for Tomorrow. Check in next week for...Forgiveness Day!
Fighting the Good Fight with You,
Find even more JOY for Today in our monthly calendars, holiday, and seasonal posts.