JOY for Today - Flag Day 2022
Flags symbolize belonging. They announce in colors and symbols the values and traditions of the people who fly them. When you see your flag waving in unfamiliar territory, it communicates security and like-mindedness. Belonging. Community. Shared Values. Common Purpose. These sound like ingredients in a recipe for JOY to me.
Flag Day Findings:
- Did You Know... One we knew; four we didn't.
- Wolfe Stew Connects Musings by the Mrs.
- Bible Verses and Quotes Inspired by Flags.
- Activity Suggestions Crafts, games, food, and history.
- Our flag was officially adopted June 14, 1777 by the Second Continental Congress? (MSN.com). See alternate designs at bbc.com.
- It took 135 years for our flag to be standardized? Until 1912, stars were arranged differently in varying proportions. (MSN.com)
- George Washington rejected any flag similar to the British flag? Fighting under a banner that resembled your enemy was not a great confidence booster. (History.com)
- The stars on the flag represent a new constellation? And the new constellation represented the birth of a new nation. Originally our flag had 13 stripes and 13 stars, but as our nation grew, so did the number of stars. Additional stripes were also added at one time, until we reached 15 states, but after that we only added stars to our flag. (History.com)
- There is no historical evidence that Betsy Ross created the original flag? While she did aid Revolutionary War efforts by mending tents and sewing uniforms, the possibility of her designing Old Glory was suggested nearly 100 years later by her grandson. (History.com) & (MSN.com)
We'd Love to Know:
- I simply do not have the patience to listen to how horrible his day was right now. I just can't, not with everything that's going on in my head. But wait, His banner over me is love. I can listen.
- She just insulted the very core of who I am. How can I extend kindness to her? Then I envision God's flag of love waving over my head and remember, I can be kind.
- How could I possibly be happy with my life circumstances right now? My sister just closed on an incredible house while I'm stuck cleaning mildew off the bathroom walls in my rented apartment. Wait. I see that flag. God chose me to represent love on this earth. I'll clean that mildew with contentment, because I have walls to clean and a God who chose me to love well.
What color you think God's banner of love is?
- "Then Moses constructed an altar and called it, "The Eternal is my Battle Flag." Exodus 17:15 VOICE
- "You have given your loyal followers a rallying flag, so that they might seek safety from the bow. (Selah)" Psalm 60:4 NET
- "We will sing for joy when you win. In the name of our God we will lift up our flags. May the Lord give you all the things you ask Him for." Psalm 20:5 NLV
- "The Israelites will make their camps in separate divisions, each man near his family flag." - Numbers 1:52 ICB
- "He placed me at his banquet table, for everyone to see that his banner over me declares his love." - Song of Solomon 2:4 VOICE
- "Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." -John Wayne
- "Our flag is our national ensign, pure and simple, behold it! Listen to it! Every star has a tongue, every stripe is articulate." - Robert C. Winthrop
- "The American flag represents all of us and all the values we hold sacred." - Adrian Cronauer
- "When we honor our flag, we honor what we stand for as a Nation - - freedom, equality, justice, and hope." -Ronald Reagan
- "Imagine what our country could accomplish if we started working together as one people under one God saluting one American flag." - Donald Trump
We'd Love to Know:
Which verse or quote would you fly high?
Our Nephew's Suggestion
- Play Capture the Flag
- Virtually with discord or Google
- Outdoors with a large group of people (Check out Very Well Family's How-To Guide to make sure everyone plays by the same rules.)
- Eat Flag Inspired Food
- Taco Salad from Family Fresh Meals
- Easy Flag Dessert from Family Fresh Meals (We've made a version of this one for Fourth of July. Choose your favorite red fruit, blueberries, and yogurt-coated pretzels. Then, arrange them like a flag on a large platter or cookie sheet. Dessert done.)
- Make a Flag Craft
- Learn Flag History while following directions with Peanut Butter Fish Lessons. Includes FIVE ACTIVITES with a preschool option.
We'd Love to Know:
We’re excited to share one more day with you and wish you JOY for Today and HOPE for Tomorrow. Join us next time for...Father's Day.
Fighting the Good Fight with You,
Find even more JOY for Today in our monthly calendars, holiday, and seasonal posts.