Veterans Day 2022 | JOY for Today
Thank you, Veterans, for serving to defend our freedoms. Today, we stand JOYFULLY united in honor of you!
JOY for Today Offerings:
- Did You Know... Three we didn't.
- Wolfe Stew Connects To a war we all fight.
- Bible Verses and Quotes Inspired by veterans.
- Activity Suggestions Informational resources, letter-writing templates, bulletin board ideas, Would You Rather questions, and family challenge.
- Veterans Day does not have an apostrophe? Because the day is for honoring ALL veterans, the apostrophe is intentionally absent. No one individual or veteran group owns the day, so no apostrophe is necessary. (Defense.gov)
- Veterans Day and Memorial Day serve different purposes? Veterans Day honors everyone who has served - whether in war or peace, still living or deceased. While Memorial Day honors soldiers who died while fighting or as a result of fighting. Mostly, the intention of Veterans Day is to express our thankfulness to veterans for their sacrifice. (Defense.gov)
- The date of November 11th holds historical significance? The fighting in WWI ended when the Allies and Germany agreed to an armistice at 11:00 on the 11th day of the 11th month. Originally named "Armistice Day," it became Veterans Day following the Korean War. (Defense.gov)
- It was briefly celebrated in October? To extend the holiday and support travel, Congress - in 1968 - chose October's fourth Monday to honor Veterans Day. However, they waited until 1971 to roll out the new date. Many states were confused about the change and ignored it by continuing to honor the familiar date in November. The celebration officially returned to November's 11th day in 1978. (Defense.gov)
- Various versions of Veterans Day exist worldwide? Also celebrated on November 11th, Remembrance Day honors soldiers who died because of war in Canada, Australia, and Great Britain. (Defense.gov)
We'd Love to Know:
We're not waging war against enemies of flesh and blood alone. No, this fight is against tyrants, against authorities, against supernatural powers and demon princes that slither in the darkness of this world, and against wicked spiritual armies that lurk about in heavenly places. (VOICE)
- The belt of truth tight around your waist for discernment
- The breastplate of God's approval (righteousness) protecting your heart
- Shoes that equip you to preach the good news of peace with God wherever you go
- The shield of faith that thwarts Satan's fiery attacks
- The helmet of salvation to guard your mind and identity
- The sword of the Spirit - which is the Word of God - as your weapon
- "Pay all that you owe, whether it is taxes and fees or respect and honor." - Romans 13:7 CEV
- "Love others well, and don't hide behind a mask; love authentically. Despise evil; pursue what is good as if your life depends on it. Live in true devotion to one another, loving each other as sisters and brothers. Be first to honor others by putting them first. Do not slack in your faithfulness and hard work. Let your spirit be on fire, bubbling up and boiling over, as you serve the Lord. Do not forget to rejoice, for hope is always just around the corner. Hold up through the hard times that are coming, and devote yourselves to prayer. Share what you have with the saints, so they lack nothing; take every opportunity to open your life and home to others." Romans 12:9-13 VOICE
- "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13 KJV
- "As a good soldier of Christ Jesus, you must endure your share of suffering." 2 Timothy 2:3 CEV
- "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, yes, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 MEV
- "We don't know them all, but we owe them all." - Unknown
- "Valor is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul." - Michel de Montaigne
- "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
- "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." - Jose Narosky
- "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf." - George Orwell
We'd Love to Know:
Which verse or quote would you choose to use in honor of a veteran?
Our Nephew's Suggestion:
Dress up as a soldier or play with toy soldiers.
Learn about Veterans
- PreK & K Military Branches Puzzles from Fantastic Fun and Learning
- 2nd-3rd Book Suggestions and Craft at Evan Moor
- 4th-6th Kid-Friendly Military Facts at Kiddle
Write a Thank You Letter
- PreK-1st Premade colorable thank you cards from Danielle Mastandrea via Teachers pay Teachers
- 2nd-3rd Veterans Day Thank You Resources including a coloring page, description brainstorming page, and letter writing template from Little Zizzers
- 4th-6th Operation Gratitude Letter Writing Campaign and Template from Mrs. Willyerd
Make a Bulletin Board
- Provide medical assistance or food?
- Help with natural disasters or interpret for others?
- Do maintenance on military land or air vehicles?
We'd Love to Know:
Fighting the Good Fight with You,
Find even more JOY for Today in our monthly calendars, holiday, and seasonal posts.