World Turtle Day | JOY for Today
After watching my turtle recover from his tumble down the stairs yesterday (he's alright), I realized this is what turtles do: they take risks. They don't know what's at the bottom of that fall, but they trust their shell to protect them. I wonder, what shell protects you? Does your shell of protection provide joy and confidence or fear and isolation?
|Meet Our Turtle: Waldo|
World Turtle Day Stops:
- Did You Know... Two we knew; three we didn't.
- Wolfe Stew Connects Musings by the Mrs.
- Bible Verses and Quotes Inspired by turtles.
- Activity Suggestions Care, costumes, reading, crafting, games, habitats, and maps.
- Turtles existed alongside dinosaurs? Turtles lived more than 220 million years ago, before snakes, crocodiles, and alligators. (World Atlas)
- The oldest turtle on record lived to 188? Named, Tu'i Malila, this female radiated tortoise lived on Tonga Island but was originally from Madagascar. (Tongan Tribes)
- More than 356 species exist? There are thirteen families of turtles: leatherback, soft-shelled, snapping, and tortoises to name a few. (World Atlas) See a complete listing at Turtle Owner.
- Every tortoise is a turtle, but not every turtle is a tortoise? Turtles are better suited for (and spend more time in) the water. If you're not sure, look at its legs: a turtle will have legs like flippers and a tortoise's legs are shaped like an elephant's. (Nashville Zoo)
- Turtles make a wide variety of noises? Considered noisy creatures, the noise they make depends on the situation. Some known turtle sounds resemble electric motors, barking dogs, clucking chickens, or hissing cats. (World Atlas)
We'd Love to Know:
- Be cautious of the Mr.'s schemes when he transforms into a two-year-old.
- Turtles are fun pets.
We'd Love to Know:
How you feel about being renamed?
- "Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the Lord." Jeremiah 8:7 KJV
- "And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart." Ezekiel 36:26 NLT
- "Any coldness still between us is not because of any lack of love on my part but because your love is too small and does not reach out to me and draw me in. I am talking to you now as if you truly were my very own children. Open your hearts to us! Return our love!" 2 Corinthians 6:12-13 TLB
- "Let everyone who can hear, listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches: Everyone who is victorious shall eat of the hidden manna, the secret nourishment from heaven; and I will give to each a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one else knows except the one receiving it." Revelation 2:17 TLB
- "Again I looked throughout the earth and saw that the swiftest person does not always win the race, nor the strongest man the battle, and that wise men are often poor, and skillful men are not necessarily famous; but it is all by chance, by happening to be at the right place at the right time." Ecclesiastes 9:11 CEV
- "Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out." - James Bryant Conant
- "Slow and steady wins the race." - Aesop
- "I would honestly say I'm in the turtle's race. My journey is a marathon." - Omari Hardwick
- "God ultimately raises up leaders for one primary reason: His glory. He shows his power in our weakness. He demonstrates His wisdom in our folly. We are all like a turtle on a fence post. If you walk by a fence post and see a turtle on top of it, then you know someone came by and put it there. In the same way, God gives leadership according to His good pleasure." - Matt Chandler
- "Turtles always strike me as devastatingly serious. If turtles could talk, I'd believe everything they said." - Erin O'Brien
We'd Love to Know:
Which verse or quote most closely matches the way you think of turtles?
Our Nephew's Suggestion:
"Care for your turtle - if you have one. Or, dress like one."
Head to PetMD to learn turtle caretaking tips.
Turtle Costume Ideas
- Read Memoirs of a Tortoise by Devin Scillian, illustrated by Tim Bowers (links to Celebrate Picture Book's review).
- Craft turtles from an egg carton (directions at the bottom of Celebrate Picture Book's post).
- Play games with your crafted turtles. Directions for a memory-recall game called "Follow the Turtles" is at the bottom of Celebrate Picture Book's post. Also suggested is "Turtle Tic-Tac-Toe."
- Model turtle habitats with shoebox dioramas
- Research turtle habitats with Turtle Owner.
- Recreate shoebox habitats for each geographical region with Science Breifss
- Map Natural Global Turtle Habitats
- Start with a blank world map (from Blank World Map) or create your own.
- Choose a turtle from each continent using Turtle Owner's list of turtle species.
- Indicate and label the natural location of each turtle on the world map. (Consider including a small picture of the turtle, the turtle's name, and the name of its natural geographical habitat.)
- Add more turtle species, if desired, to spruce up blank spaces.
We'd Love to Know:
We’re excited to share one more day with you and wish you JOY for Today and HOPE for Tomorrow. Check in next week for...Memorial Day!
Fighting the Good Fight with You,
Find even more JOY for Today in our monthly calendars, holiday, and seasonal posts.