National Lighthouse Day | JOY for Today
As a lighthouse beckons ships to safe harbor, Jesus invites us to live in his JOY. Linger here; you're safe on these shores.
JOY for Today Offerings:
- Did You Know... Five lighthouse facts we didn't know.
- Wolfe Stew Connects To finding our light.
- Bible Verses and Quotes Inspired by lighthouses.
- Activity Suggestions Music, art, design, science, history, literature, discussion questions, and family challenge.
- Global Sleep Under the Stars Night (August 8th Annually)
- National Roller Coaster Day (August 16th Annually)
- Speak Kind Words Saturday (August's Fourth Saturday)
- The first lighthouse was in Egypt? Built in 300 BC on the island of Pharos, fire on a platform over 100 meters high directed sailors to the port entrance in Alexandria. (CNN Travel & WorldHistory.org)
- The United States has more lighthouses than any other country? We reached a peak at around 850 in operation at once and there have been 1,500 constructed throughout time. Michigan has the most of any state at 140. (CNN Travel & United States Lighthouse Society)
- The Tower of Hercules is the oldest operational lighthouse? Located in Spain's La Coruna harbor, The Tower of Hercules was built in the first century and is the only Greco-Roman lighthouse of antiquity to retain structural integrity. (CNN Travel & UNESCO)
- Lighthouse keeper was one of the first U.S. government jobs that welcomed women? Although often the spouse of an assistant or head keeper, women performed professional tasks to aid their husbands and sometimes assumed their husbands' role when he got sick or died. (CNN Travel, United States Coast Guard, & National Marine Sanctuaries)
- The colors and patterns on the towers are purposely planned? Each tower's unique pattern helps sailors uniquely and easily identify it as a landmark in the daytime. The patterns are chosen both to help it stand out from the surrounding environment and to distinguish it from other nearby lighthouses. (CNN Travel, Lighthouse Preservation, & Trinity House)
We'd Love to Know:
My lighthouse, my lighthouse, shining through the darkness I will follow you safe to shore.
For you are the light of the world, who else could lead me?
I hope you find Him in your darkness. Look for His light; it's calling you home.
- Revisit a dark time in your life. As you look back, find God's light in that dark moment. Carry the memory through to the present. Remind yourself God is always with you - even in the darkness.
- Learn with us that we too are lights as we grow to be exemplary by studying Proverbs 31:18 and 31. We're examining the meaning of lamps and why God wants them lit. Take a peek at our Wolfe Notes from last week where we realized the most savvy choice is letting God lead.
- "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1 KJV
- "Again, Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12 MEV
- "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a basket, but on a candlestick. And it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16 MEV
- "And the light shines on in the darkness, and the darkness has never put it out." John 1:5 ISV
- "The people who walk in darkness will see a great light; those who live in the land of the shadow of death, the light will shine on them." Isaiah 9:2 LSB
- "Once the lighthouse is seen, the rest of the sea is ignored." - Terri Guillemets
- "A lighthouse doesn't save the ships; it doesn't go out and rescue them. It's just this pillar that helps to guide people home." - Lea Michele
- "To be a lighthouse, you must be strong enough to resist every kind of storm, to every kind of loneliness and you must have a powerful light inside you!" - Mehmet Murat Ildan
- "We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining - they just shine." - Dwight L. Moody
- "I can think of no other edifice constructed by man as altruistic as a lighthouse. They were built only to serve." - George Bernard Shaw
We'd Love to Know:
- "My Lighthouse" by Rend Collective. Notable Lyric: "My lighthouse, my lighthouse shining in the darkness I will follow You...I will trust the promise You will carry me safe to shore."
- "I'll Follow" by Cody Carnes. Notable Lyric: "You are the light of the world, who else could lead me?"
- "This Little Light of Mine" Traditional. Notable Lyric: "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!"
- "I Saw the Light" performed by Crowder. Notable Lyric: "I saw the light. I saw the light. No more darkness no more night."
- "Candle on the Water" from Pete's Dragon. Notable Lyric: "My soul is there beside you / Let this candle guide you / Soon you'll see a golden stream of light."
- "Lights" by Ellie Goulding. Notable Lyric: "You show the lights that stop me turn to stone. ... and so I tell myself that I'll be strong... 'Cause they're calling, calling, calling me home."
- "I See the Light" from Tangled. Notable Lyric: "And at last I see the light / And it's like the fog has lifted / And the world has somehow shifted"
- "Be a Light" by Thomas Rhett. Notable Lyric: "Don't hide in the dark, you were born to shine / In a world full of hate be a light."
- PreK-1: Design a lighthouse with Smithsonian.
- 2-3: Learn lighthouse vocabulary, explore properties of light, design your own lighthouse, and uncover lighthouse mysteries with this Lighthouse Curriculum packet from the United States Lighthouse Society
- 4-6: Complete a Ghost Canoe (by Will Hobbs) novel study with the United States Lighthouse Society or use their online database to complete a lighthouse research project.
Discuss "Would You Rather..." Questions
- Stay the night in a lighthouse or firehouse?
- Travel by boat or by plane?
- Design the inside or outside of a lighthouse?