Proverbs 31: Week Thirty-Nine | The Wolfe Notes
Welcome to week thirty-nine of our Proverbs 31 journey. If you'd like to return to one of our previous stops, let our "Wolfe Notes" guide you.
- In January we examined our value with the help of Proverbs 31 verses 10 and 29.
- In February we learned what uplifting means by looking at Proverbs 31:11 and 23.
- In March, we considered the virtue of respect by studying Proverbs 31:12 and 28.
- In April, we trained to be hardworking with Proverbs 31:13 and 19 as our instructors.
- In May, we saw what it takes to be resourceful by examining Proverbs 31:14 and 21.
- In June, we developed our caring muscle by exercising Proverbs 31:15 and 22.
- In July, we practiced being savvy with help from Proverbs 31:16 and 27.
- In August, we witnessed exemplary behavior outlined in Proverbs 31:18 and 31:31.
- In September, we will find what being necessary looks like from Proverbs 31:20 and 24.
*Application in the past, present, and future.
*Altered Definition of necessary.
*I am Necessary because...
*Virtue Reflection Putting together the pieces thus far unveiled.
- Only He is righteous.
- Only He is truth.
- He knows we need Him.
- He openly advertises the goodness He offers.
- He distributes His truth far and wide; it is readily available to us.
- In the past, this verse OVERWHELMED me. This industrious, business-minded, bold woman was a force to be reckoned with. Intimidating, even. She did it all and she did it well.
- Currently, I am THANKFUL to have the fine linen of righteousness and truths that will rescue others because of Jesus. I understand the cost of our righteousness and know His faithfulness is guaranteed.
- In the future, I HOPE to become a better peddler of righteousness and deliverer of truth.
- The most important work is not my burden; it has already been finished. (John 19:28-30)
- Righteousness and truth, the only provisions that matter, keep reappearing throughout this poem.
- God is in relentless pursuit of us; it's our own foolishness that bars the way.
She stretcheth out her hand to the poor: yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
- She: both about "her" - Wisdom, The Bride of Christ, or an earthly wife.
- Stretcheth / reacheth / selleth / delivereth: She is active! She is involved, known, present, and engages with others.
- Hand / linen / girdles: made by the work of her hands
- Poor / needy / linen / girdles: in need, necessary, not luxuriant or vain, vital
- Poor and linen: Those living at a lower standard need to know they are clothed in Christ's righteousness.
- Needy and girdles: Those who suffer need to hear truth
- Merchant: others are needed to carry on her good work; she cannot do it alone
from a position of accepting and understanding that Christ's sacrifice brings salvation and righteousness, we feel compelled to share the good news with those who have accepted a lower standard of living and who require His healing.
- Generally, God made us His Plan A, and there is no Plan B. He doesn't want heaven without us and He entrusts us to care for His sheep. So that we can all come home through the gate.
- Personally, I have accepted and increasingly seek to understand the sacrifice Christ made for me.
- Relationally, I share the good news with family and strangers by choosing words and actions that I hope point to Jesus. I pray for those who persecute me.
- Intellectually, I let Him guide me, by staying in His word, and by applying what I read. I learn to be content in every circumstance.
- Spiritually, I check to make sure that I'm not accepting a lower standard of living than the one He offers and that when I need healing, I seek Him desperately because I know He is necessary.
*Disclaimer: None of these descriptors are persistently consistent with me. Rather, they serve to remind me that I have thought or acted this way previously and can adopt these attitudes and behaviors again.
- All of these traits are Christ's not mine. The only reason I can reflect any of them is because of His work in me.
- In private, He WORKS HARD while MAKING WISE CHOICES with the BEST RESOURCES.
- In public, He CARES for others by being RESPECTFUL and UPLIFTING.
- So, He is regarded as VALUABLE, NECESSARY, and EXEMPLARY.